Latest Posts

What NOT to Say to Someone Going Natural

By 8:00 AM ,

Being a black female with natural hair is an empowering thing. It allows me to embrace my roots in a way that makes me the most comfortable.  Going natural may not be everyone's part of the woods (and that's fine!), but it has been something that I have enjoyed. The struggle of not having straight hair has been somewhat of a pest, but I am able to do a lot more with healthy hair than I ever would have with, well, with what I had before. I am able to wear my hair in cute little, curly afros. Braids are a healthy way to keep my hands out of my hair while still looking nice. I can also go swimming without having to be afraid of a perm and chlorine mixing in a not-so-good way. Natural hair is perfect for my lifestyle.

But there is always a negative to anything. The negative to having natural hair is the unsolicited comments that are thrown our way. I've been rocking natural hair for a good four, five years, and have encountered many comments in that time. Some of them have been good, but some have been bad. A lot of the bad comments have been unintentionally offensive (at least that's what I'm hoping), or simply rude. Others are just quite annoying. So, to keep you from being one of those people that probably do not know they are offending someone with natural hair, let me tell you what you probably should not say when you encounter one.

1.) "Are you going to do your hair?" Please, please, please do not ask someone going natural this question. It is beyond annoying. It insinuates that their hair is not done, and newsflash: this is how they intended it to be. All hair doesn't have to be pressed, permed, braided, or curled for it to be done.

2.) "What are you mixed with? You can't be all black." ...honestly, I have no idea what to say when someone says this to me. Actually, I was just asked this two weekends ago, and I'm still very astounded. I know that the comment was probably not intended to be offensive, but I still got defensive when I heard it. What is it about being all black that gives the connotation that we cannot have good hair? Do not assume, for both your and natural girls'sake.

3.) "Can I touch your hair?" While I appreciate your politeness for not just touching my hair without asking, no, please do not ask at all. I'm not an exotic animal, and would prefer if you didn't pet me like one. Note: If someone says no, don't touch their hair. It's the same premise of "no means no".

4.) "Natural hair isn't for everybody." This is probably the worst comment. When people say this, I wonder if they ever think before they speak. What do you mean that the hair that grew on somebody's head isn't for them?

5.) "What product do you use to make your hair so curly?" I don't understand why this is even a question. While there are, in fact, products that can be used to enhance curls, this is one of those pestering questions that are asked a lot. I wet my hair....that's it.

6.) "Is that all your hair?" I think that this can be said for both natural hair girls and non-natural hair girls: do not EVER ask whether someone's hair is theirs or not. It's beyond rude! Whenever I hear this, I feel the urge to say, "If I paid for it, then it's still my hair, but it's none of your dang business whether or not it is." However, I stick with the response of, "Yes, it is." Just know that when you ask this, you are probably getting the worse cussing out of your life in that girl's head.

 photo signature_1.png

You Might Also Like

0 comments